As a web publisher, I indeed get a percentage (a “cut,” if you will) of all purchases you make on Amazon after following one of the product links on my site. I make a commission not only on the product featured on my site and directly linked to on Amazon, but any products a link follower buys in the same session (in fact, I’ve heard of Associates making money off sales of their competitors’ products by this means).
If you own a website, or are thinking about starting your own website and are wondering how you might try to earn a living out of it, check out signing up for Amazon Associates yourself. As a publisher, you receive payments on a monthly basis as long as your balance is over $10, and, if you’ve signed up for direct deposit, your payment appears in your account approximately two months after your month of earnings. For example, if you earned $45 in the month of January from visitors to your site following links on your site to amazon.com and buying $1,000 worth of physical books (see below), you should expect to see a $45 deposit in your bank account in late March.
Here is the publisher’s cut paid to Amazon Associates by Amazon.com, Inc. (at least as of the creation of this page). Note that fees are earned only after an order has shipped.
- 10% Rate > Luxury Beauty, Coins
- 5% Rate > Digital Music, Physical Music, Handmade, Digital Videos
- 4.50% Rate > Physical Books, Kitchen, Automotive
- 4.00% Rate > Fire Tablet Devices, Kindle Devices, Amazon Fashion Women’s Fashion, Men’s & Kids Private Label, Apparel, Cloud Cam Devices, Fire TV Edition Smart TVs, Fire TV Devices, Echo Devices, Ring Devices, Watches, Jewelry, Luggage, Shoes, Handbags & Accessories
- 3.00% Rate > Toys, Furniture, Home, Home Improvement, Lawn & Garden, Pets Products, Pantry, Headphones, Beauty, Musical Instruments, Business & Industrial Supplies, Outdoors, Tools, Sports, Baby Products
- 2.50% Rate > PCs, PC Components, DVDs & Blu-Ray Discs
- 2.00% Rate > Televisions, Digital Video Games
- 1.00% Rate > Amazon Fresh, Physical Video Games & Video Game Consoles, Grocery, Health, Personal Care
- 0.00% Rate > Gift Cards; Wireless Service Plans; Alcohol; Digital Kindle Products purchased as subscription; Food prepared and delivered from restaurants; Amazon Appstore, Prime Now, Amazon Pay Places, or Prime Wardrobe
- 4.00% Rate > All Other Categories
Also note that, according to Amazon, you need to make at least three sales in the first 180 days or your account will be deactivated (so don’t just throw up one link and sit back; you might, like myself, think of creating your own virtual bookshelf among many other things).